Saudi: Foreign Group Behind August Cyber-Attacks

Sunday, 09 Dec 2012 10:02 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A Saudi official says the cyber-attacks that hit the country's oil giant Aramco and Qatari natural gas producer RasGas in August originated outside the kingdom.

Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki said in a statement Sunday that an investigation concluded that an "organized foreign group ... was behind the attacks" and that Aramco employees were not involved. He did not name the group, or say where it was based.

The cyber-attacks used a virus, known as Shamoon, which can spread through networked computers and ultimately wipes out files by overwriting them.

Aramco has said production wasn't affected.

Two previously unknown groups claimed responsibility for the Aramco attack to avenge what it called Saudi support for "crimes and atrocities" in Syria, Bahrain and other Arab countries.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAXWORLD.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved