Presidential frontrunner Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on Sunday Egypt's situation will improve in two years, adding that he would not hesitate to resign if there were mass protests against him.
Sisi, lauded by millions of Egyptians for ousting Islamist president Mohammed Morsi in July last year, is expected to trounce his only rival, leftist leader Hamdeen Sabbahi, in the May 26-27 election.
"If things go according to the plan we have prepared, we will see an improvement in two years," the retired field marshal said in an interview with Sky News Arabia.
Egypt's "problems will be over in two years", he added.
The country has been rocked by more than three years of political turmoil that toppled two presidents after massive street protests, a deadly crackdown on protesters that has killed more than 1,400 people, and a spate of militant attacks that has left the country deeply polarized and the economy in a shambles.
The deadly crackdown on backers of Morsi, Egypt's first freely elected president, has also resulted in more than 15,000 people jailed and hundreds sentenced to death in rulings that have triggered international outrage.
In Sisi's second television interview this week, he also said he would not hesitate to step down if there were mass protests against him.
"If the people go out (on the streets), I will ask them 'What do you want? I am under your orders'," he said when asked what he would do if protests also erupt against him as they did against long-time strongman Hosni Mubarak in early 2011 and later against Morsi in 2013.
"I won't wait for the army (to intervene) ... the army acts according to the people's will," Sisi said.
The then former army chief ousted Morsi after millions of people staged demonstrations, accusing the Islamist of a power grab and ruining an already dilapidated economy.
© AFP 2014