Blast Wrecks Benghazi Govt Office on 1st Anniversary of Attack

Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 03:05 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

BENGHAZI, Libya — A powerful blast caused serious damage to a foreign ministry building in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi on Wednesday, witnesses said.

The explosion comes on the first anniversary of an attack by militants on the United States consulate in Benghazi, which killed four Americans, including the ambassador.

It was not immediately known if the blast, which the witnesses said appeared to have been caused by a car bomb, had resulted in casualties.

An AFP photographer said a large section of the foreign ministry building had been destroyed and parts of the nearby local headquarters of the central bank seriously damaged.

Benghazi, cradle of the 2011 revolt that toppled and killed dictator Moammar Gadhafi, has been hit by a wave of deadly attacks in recent months targeting security force officers and members of the judiciary, many of whom served the previous regime.

Attacks have also targeted diplomats and western interests.

Much of the violence, including the killing of the U.S. ambassador last year, has been attributed to radical Islamists who are deeply rooted in the region.

© AFP 2014

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAXWORLD.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved