British Terror Suspect Escapes Wearing Burqa

Tuesday, 05 Nov 2013 07:01 AM

By Joel Himelfarb

Share:
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
   Forward Article  |
  Copy Shortlink
British authorities have lost track of a man with suspected links to the Somali terror organization al-Shabab, the London Telegraph reported Monday.
 
Security cameras reportedly show that at 10: 00 A.M. Friday morning — just hours after prosecutors, citing insufficient evidence, dropped charges against him for tampering with an electronic tag enabling authorities to monitor his whereabouts — Somalia-born Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed, 27, entered the An-Noor Masjid and Community Center in East London.
 
He was observed leaving the mosque at around 3:15 that afternoon disguised as a woman wearing  a burqa and has not been seen since.

Mohamed was being monitored under a Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measure (TPIM) notice, according to NBC News. Judges may impose a TPIM if, after viewing secret evidence not shown to juries, they conclude that someone is or has been involved in terror-related activities.
The notice requires that suspects report to law enforcement every day and remain overnight at a specific location.

The Telegraph quotes Britain’s Home Office as saying that Mohamed, a British citizen born in Somalia, was trained by al-Shabab and fought alongside its cadres. The office also believes Mohamed was involved in planning attacks on Western targets overseas. 

Mohamed is the second Somali-born terror suspect subject to a TPIM who has escaped from British law enforcement in the last year. The other is Ibrahim Magag, 28,who vanished close to a year ago.  

British Security Minister James Brokenshire said officials don’t  believe Mohamed poses a direct threat to the public.     

"National security is the government's top priority and the police are doing everything in their power to apprehend this man as quickly as possible," he told NBC News.
 
Scotland Yard announced that Mohamed is "not considered at this time to represent a direct threat to the public" but advised the public not to approach him but to call 999 [emergency services]" if they see him, the Telegraph reported.

Shadow (opposition coalition) Home Secretary Yvette Cooper called Mohamed’s escape "extremely serious" and urged Home Secretary Theresa May to "urgently explain what happened in this case."
 
Related Story:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
   Forward Article  |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAXWORLD.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved